Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Tours in the offing

A few blogs ago, I whined on a bit about not having a tour ride identifed in the near term. True enough, but as it turns out, things are not as bad as all that. The spring and summer should shape up nicely and 2010 offers hope for an 8 to 10 day outing.

I decided this year that I would finally join several of my friends on their MS ride, a two day ride covering 150 miles, all the while generating needed funds for a very important cause (see my last blog for more details on that). Additionally, I have interested several other friends in touring, maybe as a result of blogging and bloviating; who knows. One wants to do a two day ride this spring or summer (I am going to try to talk him into 3 days). Add to all that my usual smattering of centuries and club rides (my roadie life), and this year should be quite exciting. I am also looking forward to the prospect of reuniting with two high school track friends whom I have not seen in 35 years (now you know I am an old fart). I was able to find them through facebook and we may participate together in a September or October century ride.

Next year is shaping up for a Maryland to Maine ride, starting in my home town of Bel Air and finishing up in Bar Harbor. For me personally, this would complete my east coast aspirations, since I have already completed and written about my Florida to Maryland ride (check out my website and book and http://cycloscribe.com . There is also a link there for the MS ride.) What is particularly exciting to me is that I will not be going solo this time. There will be at least two other riders, one a close personal friend.

I am hoping that in 2011 another friend and I will ride to Dearborn, Michigan. I have completely planned that one out, but have not gained traction with my buddy as to any committment. I really should just shame him into it. One has to be careful about these things.

A transamerica is in the offing in the 2012/13 timeframe. Presently I am leaning toward the Adventure Cycling Association bicentennial routing (Virigina to Oregon), but remain very flexible at this early date. I used the Adventure Cycling Association maps for my FLto MD ride and had a love/hate affair with the routing. I talk about this is detail in my book. I will continue to look for partners on this one. I will also continue to figure out how in the world to take almost two months out of my life to do this. A subject for another blog, no doubt.

I am getting tired of talking about me. Please chime in.

No comments:

Post a Comment